10th Anniversary Block Party
Presented by: Shenkman Arts Centre
Friday, June 14, 2019 from 4 pm to 10 pm
Come out to celebrate Shenkman Arts Centre’s 10th Anniversary
This family-oriented event will feature JUNO Award nominee Chris McKhool, DJ JFun spinning world beats, gigantic steamroller printmaking, Aerial Antics, Steamfunk stilt walkers, Fire Weavers, and more. Partygoers of all ages can get on the dance floor, blow out cake candles, and enjoy great fare by local food trucks and the Stray Dog Brewing Company.
Bring your family and friends and join your neighbours to celebrate a decade of the creative arts in the heart of Orléans.
4 pm to 10 pm
- Gigantic Steamroller Printmaking – Ottawa School of Art’s printmaking instructors and artists will be carving and transforming large pieces of wood and Masonite into original artworks. Throughout the evening, the public will be invited to see them carve and print their huge pieces on paper with an impressive steamroller truck!
- Food Trucks – Angry Dragonz, Merry Dairy and Beverages by Stray Dog Brewing Company
5:30 pm to 6:20 pm
- Chris McKhool – “FiddleFire!” – Violin sensation Chris McKhool and his spectacular band get kids and their parents scat-singing, becoming a rhythm section and joining Chris on stage to play rare percussion instruments from around the world!
6 pm to 10 pm
- DJ JFUN – JFUN is introducing us to his unique musical stylings. His sound can’t be pinned down to one genre as it is always evolving but often combines funky rhythms and four on the floor beats to create a moving celebration of sonic exploration.
- Cake! Gather around when Mayor Jim Watson takes the stage. Join in to sing Happy Birthday with our Volunteer Crew and let’s eat cake!!
4 pm to 9 pm
- Live painting – Arteast members bring their visual art to life with live painting demonstrations
4 pm to 7 pm
- Ottawa School of Theatre’s Costumed Characters – Be greeted by some real characters as you celebrate 10 years of art! Looking for a quiet place for your family? Ottawa School of Theatre will open one of their studios for your use and comfort.
- Meet Caschou! – Alterna Savings’ very own mascot Caschou will delight the kids with balloons.
5 pm to 5:30 pm
- African Dance Workshop – MIFO invites you to be moved by African rhythms by learning traditional dance with artist Mohamed Diarra. Dare to dance!
- Rafales – Tara Luz Danse offers you a trip in time. Attend the new incarnation of the work “Rafales” by choreographer Anik Bouvrette, which was presented at the inauguration in 2009. Let yourself be carried away by the energy of the movement and come celebrate with us!
- Aerial Ambience – marvel at the acrobatic mastery of Aerial Antics
- Steamfunk – Stilt walkers straight out of the futuristic nineteenth century roam the land in search of modern technology, by Creations in Vivo.
- Fire Dance – Be entranced by Ottawa-based Fire Weaver, Sophie Latreille
4 pm to 10 pm
- Shenkman Glows – Interactive art installation by community-engaged artist Brenda Dunn.
- Selfie-station – Don’t miss your photo op with our anniversary inspired cutout by Arteast.
- Vinyl cutting – DIY your way to a keepsake by cutting a sticker in vinyl with Britta Evans-Fenton. Presented by Maker Faire who showcase interesting hobbies, experiments and projects by “makers”, from engineers to artists to scientists to crafters.
4 pm to 7 pm
- Printmaking for the Whole Family! – Guided by an Ottawa School of Art instructor, children will be invited to engrave their very own design on Styrofoam and then print their brightly coloured artwork on paper!
4 to 5:30 pm
- Shake shake shake – Get into the music by crafting your very own music shaker.
- Community Ceramic Project – Join the Gloucester Pottery School to imprint and paint your very own clay tile which will become part of Mr. Polar Bear’s toboggan. Instructors will demonstrate how to use an array of textures and how to finish painting the tile with brightly coloured slips. The tiles will be fired at the Gloucester Pottery School. When complete each tile will be joined together to create a mosaic blanket that will embellish Mr. Polar Bear’s toboggan. The finished polar bear and toboggan project will be on display in the GPS studio lobby for all to visit.
5 pm to 6 pm
- Stories and Games for Families and Children – Come play with some actors from Ottawa School of Theatre who will work with families in 15-20 minute blocks in Theatre games and exercises to build awareness and team spirit followed by a story that will emphasize 10 Years of art and growing of a community.
6:20 pm to 7 pm
- Explore African Music – MIFO invites you to discover the Guinean drums with artist Mohamed Diarra. Take the opportunity to play a few beats with him on traditional musical instruments.
Check out our podcast, where we speak with the people who help bring the arts to life at Shenkman Arts Centre.
Event rain or shine!
We invite you to bring a donation in support of the Orléans-Cumberland Community Resource Centre Food Bank.
Language: English, French
Tickets(all-in price): Free
Venue: Agora Minto-Orleans Outdoor Plaza, Upper Lobby
Genre: Special Event
June 14 at 4:00 pm