The Ottawa School of Art is proud to present the work of Diploma Student:
Josée Van Dromme
The Ottawa School of Art presents new works by Diploma Student Josée Van Dromme. Ottawa based artist Josée Van Dromme has been involved in art and design from an early age. She holds an Interior Designer Diploma and an Architectural Technician Certificate from Algonquin College. Josée has also held teaching positions at Algonquin Collage and at the Ottawa School of Art, (summer Children and Teen’s program), where she is also completing her third and final year of the Fine Art Diploma program. Josée was the recipient of the Robert Hyndman Painting and Drawing scholarship in 2016 as well as the Lillian Raport Memorial scholarship in 2018.
Josée’s new abstract paintings are textured and organic with rich layers of earth toned colours which create a sense of movement and rhythm. Her work is definitely influenced by her love of mark making and nature.
Josée has exhibited her work in a number of group exhibitions associated with the Ottawa School of Art.
“Putting my pencil to paper is all about listening/trusting that the marks will reveal a new work worth pursuing.” – Josée Van Dromme, Artist
Architectural designer, artist, and founder of Van Dromme Designs, Josée was born in Montreal and raised in Ottawa. Her love of art and design started at a young age & was refined after completing formal design and art education, working for over two decades in the design industry and teaching for the Interior Design program at Algonquin College. She currently divides her time between the worlds of design and art. Josée’s art is influenced by her love of mark making and the outdoors.
I have an intimate relationship with lines and shapes.
Each mark has its own narrative.
Exploring each mark requires patience.
My favorite tool is the pencil.
Putting my pencil to paper is all about listening/trusting that the marks will reveal a new work worth pursuing.
As I create, surprises happen. And very often, the accidents are more interesting than the original idea.
Perhaps the accidents are the secret
2015 – present Fine Arts Diploma, Ottawa School of Art
1990-1994 Interior Designer Diploma: Algonquin College: Honours graduate
2005 – 2006 Architectural Technician Certificate
- June 13 2016 The Robert Hyndman Painting and Drawing Scholarship from Ottawa School of Art
- November 22 2018 The Lillian Raport Memorial Scholarship from the Ottawa School of Art
Lead designer these three projects:
- National Award for Housing Excellence Home Renovation Category Renovation under $250K “Third Ave (Blended Victorian)
- OHBA Provincial Award Category Most Outstanding Home Renovation 2015 between $250-$500K “Island Park (Transformation for a New Generation)
- Finalist OHBA Provincial Award Category Most Outstanding Home Renovation 2016 between $250-$500K “Ossington” (Personalized Details)
1998 – 2003 Teacher (part-time) for the Interior Design Department at Algonquin College
- Studio, programming & planning, Graphic presentation, furnishing & finishes
2016 – 2017 Teacher (part-time) for the Children’s summer program at the Ottawa School of Art
- Art & Architecture – Mixed Media 6-7 year olds
- The Magnificent Insect – Mixed Media 7 -10 year olds
- Group exhibition: Intermediate Painting exhibition in the Lee Matasi gallery January 2018
- Group exhibition: Big in Gallery 200 at the School of Dance Jan-March 2019