Making a Formal Application
DOWNLOAD PDF APPLICATION FORM FINE ARTS DIPLOMA PROGRAM [ENG] [FR]
Information on all OSA credit programs may be obtained at the front desk of the school or by contacting the Diploma Coordinator at email@example.com.
To begin the application process, all prospective students must familiarize themselves with OSA requirements and policies. Any procedural differences, between programs or for prospective students applying from abroad, are outlined under the appropriate sections of the web site.
To make a formal application for admission to the Ottawa School of Art, prospective students must include the following with their completed application form:
- Payment of the $50 (plus tax) application fee.
- A portfolio of 10 to 15 pieces of your recent artwork for review. This should include drawings, works in colour and a variety of your best studio work. It is always better to present the original pieces, but you may also present them in 8.5″ x 11″ format (approximately 20 cm x 25 cm). Bring a current sketchbook to the interview if available.
- Officially stamped transcripts from all institutions previously attended (plus translation of transcripts into English, if needed).
- Your resume with your e-mail address in cases of advanced standing.
- A signed essay (one page in length) explaining why you wish to attend the Ottawa School of Art.
- A copy of an official photo ID (e.g. driver’s license, passport, etc.).
- Two passport-sized photographs.
- A copy of your passport officially stamped (International Students only).
- Proof of competence in the English language (e.g. TOEFL ranking for International Students).
Please note that, with the exception of the portfolio, none of these items will be returned.
After filling out an application form and obtaining the required documents, all prospective and returning students must make an appointment for an interview with the Diploma Coordinator. Appointments can be made at the front desk or by phoning the main number of the school.
Prospective students applying to the Fine Arts Diploma Program who have an outstanding portfolio may apply for advanced standing. This consideration may also be given for courses completed at university or at another art school.
When a student has been accepted into an OSA credit program, he/she will be required to sign a contract with the Ottawa School of Art. This contract details the courses to be undertaken, their duration and the payment required. As part of the contract will be the expectations of the OSA with respect to the student’s performance and attendance. The original contract will be kept in the student’s file and a copy provided for the student’s records.
Students are required to make themselves aware of relevant policies and to understand them fully.
Full-time status is based on taking five (5) courses per term. Part-time status is based on taking a minimum of three (3) courses per term.
Students wishing to be considered full time must take a minimum of 15 credits per term, ensuring that they finish with 90 credits by graduation.
To maintain full-time standing in a program, students will have to meet all course requirements (attendance, assignments, etc.) and receive a passing grade in enough courses to earn a total of 12 credits per term.
It is important to note that ‘Incomplete’, ‘Withdrawal’ and ‘No Credit’ mark designations will not be counted when totaling the minimum 12 credits per term.
Credits will only be awarded in those courses in which the student receives a passing grade.
In addition, students are required to maintain a yearly C+ average or higher.
If you have any questions, please contact the Diploma Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.